If you let it. It wouldn’t fit but the title is actually 7 Things the Bible Does–IF YOU LET IT. Here, look!
Culture is redefining all the five-dollar words right now–sexuality, gender, life, authority, abortion, marriage, peace, race, justice, and equality…
And, then demanding we agree on their new terms.
Demanding we be bound by God, to Godless things.
Umm…nope. Nah. Nuh-uh. Negatory. Niet. Nein. No-sir-ee-bob. Naaaaaay.I know this will seem rigid, but bend for none. (Get it? That’s funny.)
THY WORD is a lamp…not my word, not your word. And for sure not new words.
- THY WORD gives light in a dark world that I may see rightly where I am and where I am going.
- THY WORD keeps me from stumbling into sin or the snares of my enemies.
- THY WORD cleanses me gently.
- THY WORD nourishes me today and provides for tomorrow.
- THY WORD provides everything I need for life and Godliness.
- THY WORD reveals every hidden thing and demolishes every lie.
- THY WORD is uniquely good for me–a treasure beyond compare.
Your experience is not the authority.
Your feelings and emotions are deceptive guides.
Your truth is not eternal or salvific. God has never had to change a definition or regretted a word choice. He has never had to walk back one single promise.
And culture’s experience, feelings, emotions, and truth? Pish posh.
Do you see it as righteous and holy? Then, why would you follow it loyally? Why would you let it dictate or determine anything?
Get in THE Word. Stay in THE Word. Be little concerned with anyone else’s.
You know The Way.
You were given The Guide.
You have The Light.
Fear not the dark.
“Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path. I have taken an oath and confirmed it, that I will follow your righteous laws. I have suffered much; preserve my life, Lord, according to your word.
Accept, Lord, the willing praise of my mouth, and teach me your laws. Though I constantly take my life in my hands, I will not forget your law.
The wicked have set a snare for me, but I have not strayed from your precepts. Your statutes are my heritage forever; they are the joy of my heart.
My heart is set on keeping your decrees to the very end.”
His decrees. And no one else’s. Look at the passage very closely.
We love the part about “thy Word being a lamp unto my feet…” We forget the part about where it’s only a light when…
- I have taken an oath to follow HIS WORD
- I have remembered HIS WORD
- I did not forget HIS LAW
- I did not stray from HIS LAW
- My joy is in obedience to HIS WORD
- My heart is set on keeping HIS LAW
- I determine to keep HIS LAW to the very end.
Hey friend, you dim? Possible the switch is not flipped on your end? (The answer is yes–because His Word is still on full power, full force, full time.) If you walk in darkness…it’s a you thing not a Him thing. Beware. Away from the Word you are likely to have some blind spots.
Special shout out to Flamy Grant, our chart topping, drag queen making Christian music right now, for bringing new attention to Amy’s vintage catalog. And for illustrating and “illuminating” this point so clearly.